Go Back   Natural Game Forum by Zan Perrion > The Hold > Off Topic
ZanPerrion.com Members List Mark Forums Read

Off Topic
     I can't sleep for 8 hours straight anymore?

Old 08-20-2008   #1
Aikuzo
Gunner

Default I can't sleep for 8 hours straight anymore?

Im using a sleeping pill for months now and it works because I have insomia cause of "overthinking". But lately I always wake up after 3-4 hrs and cannot sleep after that so what I usually do is I do something else in a couple of hours until I get sleepy again. Im just wondering if this happens to anyone here because so far my only conclusion is to sleep in a fix time but I'll still do some research on this, any help would be appreciated.
Aikuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #2
Dirty D
Quartermaster

Well, when I was going through rough times I had the same problem as you do Aikuzo, and as such I did some research on how to improve your sleep...

Sleep is extremely important for a number of reasons. After a workout your body needs to repair the damaged tissues and muscles you focused on. This process uses lots of energy and requires around 8 -10 hours of unbroken sleep. Also, stress AND depression are linked to lack of sleep and thus your health in general can be DRAMATICALLY affected by your sleeping patterns. EVERYBODY experiences some type of sleep problem, be it insomnia or just trouble falling asleep. Some things you can do to help attain a regular sleeping pattern are:
• Get into a regular bed time PATTERN. Simple isn’t it? Get up early and go out into the sun or open up the blinds. Sunlight stimulates the body and helps to wake you up.
• Regular exercise. This will help you sleep, BUT if you exercise vigorously before you go to bed you can cause sleep delays. A good time to exercise is during the day, mid-afternoon or early evening.
• Forcing yourself to sleep is NOT going to work. You should aim to go to bed roughly 10 hours before you need to get up the next morning.
• Try to AVOID going to sleep too early (or you’ll wake up too early and have a problem there)
• If you can’t fall asleep, get out of bed and go into another room. Turn the lights on and grab a book or watch some TV, drink a warm glass of milk and make sure you are WARM. After 30mins, try to go back to sleep.
• Napping should NEVER be a substitute for poor sleep. DON’T take afternoon naps during the day, they will leave you partially refreshed but make it harder for you to fall asleep later on.
• Smoking, alcohol and caffeine ALL reduce quality of sleep. Caffeine takes hours to go through your system, avoid coffee after lunch and DEFINITELY don’t drink it after 5pm. Try to eat your evening meal 4 hours before you go to sleep, this gives time for digestion to settle.
• A light snack before bed is suggested as this keeps hunger at bay and ALSO aids muscle growth. Go for carbohydrates or even a protein drink but avoid sugars and meats.
• Us humans have a tendency to do SHITLOADS of work that require either heavy emotional, physical or mental focus and energy...and than go to sleep RIGHT after doing that. Compare it to taking xtc and trying to chill out right after...lol! That will seriously NOT work. So what you do is: empty your mind for about 15 to 30 minutes before going to sleep if you can. Why? Because sleep is self-hypnosis, the more relaxed you engage in 'trying to go to sleep', the faster it works...because hypnosis works better the more relaxed you are!!

Do these help you out Aikuzo? If not, just PM me and we'll figure something out These pointers have helped me sleep not only longer, but BETTER as well...reduced the number of nightmares even
Dirty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #3
lightsleeper
Raider

I'm with Double D :

"That's precisely what this forum needs .... MORE SLEEP!"
lightsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #4
Aikuzo
Gunner

Dirt D man..... thanks for the insight!sorry I forgot to mention this.....Im not sure if this is the cause but before this problem starts, the week before I used the mellodyn pill to sleep in daytime. About 5 days after that, its where the problem starts, I start waking up after about 4 hours, and what makes it worse is Im not sleepy after I woke up. So I stop sleeping on daytime and I had set a fixed sleeping schedule to try fix the problem, but it continues to happen still in weeks now. I'll follow all of your advice this week and try some stuff , I'll let you know in a couple of days to see how it turns out.
Old 08-24-2008   #5
Dirty D
Quartermaster

Well, one of the key insights on sleep is that we tend to think our bodies are made to sleep at night...but this is as far from the truth as it can get!
When you work night shifts for example where you do midnight to 8 in the morning shifts, your body is perfectly able to adapt to this rhytm which will have the effect of getting sleepy in daytime and having more energy during the night over time...it's a process of adaptation my friend.
And guess what happens when you start to sleep in the daytime? The same thing! Your biological clock will make you wake up in the middle of the night ready for action...because you told it to sleep in the day, it will be awake in the night.

I'm not sure whether or not you'll see results in as fast as a week from now, because studies have shown that it takes MONTHS to change your sleeping pattern. So I think you'll see the most results in trying to improve the EFFICIENCY of your sleep: no big brain issues before bed, a light snack, etc. Keep me posted will ya?
Just PM me or post here and we'll work from there!
Old 08-24-2008   #6
Aikuzo
Gunner

Just to let ya know man.... good progress tonight w/ my fixed 12am schedule, I woke up 6am then went back to sleep for 2 1/2 hrs more, not too bad for improvement xD.

Thanks

Aikuzo
Old 08-24-2008   #7
Dirty D
Quartermaster

We need about 8-10 hours of sleep, and you´re already at 8.5? Marvelous!
That´s quite an improvement my Texan friend...I´m sure 8 minute meditation will aid in your quest for sleep!

Again: keep me posted on your progress, as I know how much of an impact a lack of sleep can have on your life...Fight Club is a movie which portrays it very accurately :P
You´re cranky, more stressed, do less in an average day, are more introvert, etc.
Old 08-27-2008   #8
Musashi
Galley Slave

I can't seem to sleep for less than 8 hours. The only time I wake up in the middle of the night is if I let out the biggest fart ever, and that doesn't wake me up initially - it's usually the responding barking dogs, car alarms, house alarms, police helicopters outside that wake me up. According to me girlfriend, my usual trick is to let out this loud, long touch of methane, after which I give a long "Ahhhh..." and then go back to sleep. Apparently I burp in my sleep too. I never knew that until she told me. Fascinating...
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #9
Silence
Amorati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikuzo View Post
Im using a sleeping pill for months now and it works because I have insomia cause of "overthinking". But lately I always wake up after 3-4 hrs and cannot sleep after that so what I usually do is I do something else in a couple of hours until I get sleepy again. Im just wondering if this happens to anyone here because so far my only conclusion is to sleep in a fix time but I'll still do some research on this, any help would be appreciated.
Maybe you have to much going on in a day. If you keep that up for a prolonged period of time, your body will be in a state of permanent alertness. In this state you will only get light sleep and you'll wake up very easily even though you're still tired.
What helps for me is doing nothing for 30 minutes before I go to bed. And I mean NOTHING! I just sit on my couch and let my thoughts go where ever they want. It usually take about 10 minutes for them to settle down and the other 20 minutes are for processing the day.

Silence
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #10
John
Raider

Lots of good advice here.

I`ve always slept like a baby, but a few years ago I also experienced sleep problems because of some mental issues.

What really helped me was calm classical music at low volumes. The beautiful music helped me shift my focus from my agitated mind to the NOW. From moment to moment I listened to the music and focused on breathing slowly.

If you need concrete advice, I could recommend you to buy the album "The Most Relaxing Classical Album In The World". Pure gold

Sleep tight!
John is online now   Reply With Quote